Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Into the Cauldron


So, for years I have had friends and family tell me I should start a blog... I have been tempted by the idea but just never seemed to find a few moments of time to actually jump right in with both feet...today is day 2 of the spoglets off to school so I figured there is no time like the present so here goes....

I am Amy, a 36 year old stay at home mom of two fantastic children that I affectionately refer to as my sproglets or Punkin'head and Peanut. My son Devan aka the Punkin'head just started his senior year in high school this year and is driving and dating, if that isn't enough to throw one over the edge of the cauldron I don't know what is. My daughter Elaina Mae. aka Peanut just began life as a second grader this year. She is on the Autistic Spectrum, is high functioning and comes with a side of ADHD. Elaina operates on two speeds... sleeping and full throttle, there is never a dull moment with her, she is my very own personal super hero. JT and I have collectively been together almost 20 years.... now folks that is a LONG time that seems like just the blink of an eye.

When Devan was just a wee bean we threw our first Halloween Haunt, in the beginning it was a way for family and friends to gather at our house after Trick or Treat with their very own costume clad off spring for good food, good conversation and the ever so important inventory of the loot that the lads and lasses brought back....after a couple of years, JT and I moved the party outdoors, threw in a bonfire and invited just the adults. It became quite apparent that we had NO clue how to really host a full out bash, when friends of ours showed up in costumes so great that we didn't even have a clue who they were for almost an hour... that was the beginning of what would come.....the "inspiration".

So, over a decade later, we have graduated from the crepe paper, mini trash bag tree ghosts, and fake spider webs to totally trying to transform our home indoor and out weather permitting (we live in Ohio... can be full sun and 75 one moment and freezing rain the next) into a total Halloween theme event.

Last year our theme was the movie "The Bird's". Hence, the photo up above take from one of the corners of my living room.

This year, I came across a blogger AranaMuerta.com aka the Dead Spider, and her Witch's Kitchen has set the tone....I live in a small community and everyone thinks I am just plain mad at this point I cannot stop raiding the yard sales for any type of vessel that can be used to make some awesome home made potion bottles....every time I even say the word Halloween I get crazy glances and stares, but hey I look at it this way, as soon as the back to school supplies come down, the stores are going to catch on so I must not be that insane.

So that is me in a cauldron bubble... thank you for stopping bye, can't wait to get to know you all much better......

2 comments:

Angie said...

Really enjoying reading your blog, and am so glad to have had the opportunity to chat with you!

I LOVE the birds in the corner decor in that photo, must have set the mood very nicely!

Angelwick Eden said...

Just discovered your blog a couple of days ago, and just got done reading. I think it's great, and I love your work-in-progress pictures.